hist-brewing: Re: Costmary vs Gill-over-the-ground

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Sun Jun 13 09:31:06 PDT 1999

In a message dated 6/12/99 9:16:03 AM EST, wyliesmith at isomedia.com writes:
<< This is from Botanical.com:
  Ivy, Ground  <snip>  >>

	Thank you. That makes sense.  It looks as though we have two good
candidates for gruit, costmary (Tanacetum balsamita) and ground ivy (Glechoma
hederacea), each of which is cited in the online literature as having
actually been used as a gruit during the medieval period.  I intend to try
each, and maybe both.
	I'm sure that our correspondents who offered the citations consider
these resources to be reliable, and that's great!  That's what the Net is all
about!
	However, I have the misfortune to be a member of a subculture which
has not yet made its peace with the Net, and whose dominant members still
prefer citation from the print literature.  Any help?
	In joy and service,     Scotti