hist-brewing: Medieval Weights and Measures Question

Michael D. Manning darke at inetworld.net
Fri Jun 11 20:09:16 PDT 1999

Greetings all,

    I am trying to decipher an English recipe from 1606. It starts "First you must take halfe a strike of ..." Does any one know what a "strike" is?
    The only use of the word "strike" I have been able to find relates to the "Winchester Standard." (found it in Weights and Measures by F.G. Skinner)  For capacity, it defined each measure by the weight in Troy ounces of its contents of wheat by "striked measure." Any help would be appreciated.

Michael
darke at inetworld.net      _^..^_
http://www.inetworld.net/darke
"Veni, Coqui, Bibimus"