hist-brewing: Crystal Malt

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Fri May 28 06:55:09 PDT 1999

	Does anybody have a timeline for crystal malt?  I know how it is
made, by raising the temperature of green malt until the sugars dissolve in
the residual moisture, then cooling it rapidly to crystallize the dissolved
sugars.  I understand that this destroys the amylases, so that these sugars
do not ferment, and thereby contribute more to mouthfeel and sweetness.  But
when was crystal malt developed?  Does anybody have any documentation?
	Thanks,     Scotti