hist-brewing: barrels

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Thu May 27 06:08:14 PDT 1999

Jim Liddil <jliddil at vms.arizona.edu> wrote:
>But my next project is to make a barleywine
>in it to amke something like greene king or Gales prize old ale.

I have a kind of old ale "solera."  This is a Cornelius keg with a mix of
generally strong, dark ales that I keep adding to.  It is quite tart with
lactic bugs and who know what else.  Whenever I reach the end of a keg of
strong stuff I add it.  It's been going about four years.   It began when I
had an all pale malt barley wine that just was too flabby - it needed a
dark malt bite or edge.  So I added some stout.  But I never drink that
much strong ale from a keg.  I've probably added three or four other beers
over the intervening years.  It's really quite nice.  It's about time to
add another brew to it.  I'll probably brew up something just for it.

Jeff

-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu