hist-brewing: barrels

Jim Liddil jliddil at vms.arizona.edu
Wed May 26 06:23:03 PDT 1999

plambic brewers here in the US and elsewhere have looked into barrels quite
a bit.  Look at buying a barrel directly from the maker.  At www.liddil.com
there is a lambic article that has stuff about suppliers.  toasting will
reduce the oakiness of an american barrel but it will still take time.  I
have a 10 gallon barrel and I clean it using soda ash (borax) and then run
boiling water from my sparge tank into it as a final step.  It is well
infected from pseudo lambics.  But my next project is to make a barleywine
in it to amke something like greene king or Gales prize old ale.

Jim Liddil