hist-brewing: Historical Sanitation

Donald Beistle dbeistle at arches.uga.edu
Mon May 10 11:48:28 PDT 1999

Anybody interested in the maintenance and cleaning of brewing equipment
(in England at least) in a mostly pre-industrial context would be well
advised to take a look at Pamela Sambrook's _Country House Brewing in
England: 1500-1900_. It's an excellent work: it's scholarly without being
dry, it's well illustrated, it has a wonderfully useful bibliography, and
an especially crafty brewer can translate some of the historical info into
recipes.

It's been more than a year since I read this book, but I recall that it
had a chapter or sub-chapter dedicated to the cleaning and maintenance of
wooden barrels. Tuns, coppers, and coolships are similarly treated in
the book. Bibliographic information follows:

         TITLE:  Country house brewing in England, 1500-1900 / Pamela
                   Sambrook.

        AUTHOR:  Sambrook, Pamela.

     PUBLISHED:  Rio Grande, Ohio : Hambledon Press, 1996.

Waes hael!

Donald Beistle
Athens, Georgia