hist-brewing: Historical "non-sanitization"--any experience?

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Mon May 10 07:11:37 PDT 1999

On Sat, 8 May 1999 PBLoomis at aol.com wrote:

> 	They used some tough stuff in those pre-EPA pre-OHSA days.
> 	Quicklime is CaO, or unslaked lime, just as it comes from the

To elaborate, just to make sure that people understand the safety issues
really well:  Calcium is the third most reactive metal ion known, right
after kalium (potassium) and natrium (sodium).  Oxygen is highly
oxidative.  Hydroxides are actually safer than CaO.

> 	Oil of vitriol is pure H2SO4, or concentrated sulfuric acid, one
> of the nastiest chemicals known.  It is so violently hydrophilic that

We wear gloves, goggles, coat, and recommend a face shield when using the
dilute stuff in the lab, and the concentrate is to be used only within
the confines of a fume hood.  Even the fumes of sulfuric acid can destroy
your mucosa.

In other words, I'm *glad* that my curiousity is only theoretical in this
case.  I'll stick to ordinary surfactants and steam for my work, but the
information has been nice to have.