hist-brewing: Historical

Karen Olson kaolson3 at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 12:38:02 PDT 1999

----Original Message Follows----
From: bjm10 at cornell.edu
To: hist-brewing at pbm.com
Subject: hist-brewing: Historical "non-sanitization"--any experience?
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 16:43:39 -0400 (EDT)

>From a purely theoretical standpoint, I'm wondering.  Has anyone on the
list had experience with the cleaning-but-not-sanitizing by modern
standards that may have been done historically?

I would presume that this would have a greater chance of being safe due
to the much larger volumes involved in brewing, but I'm only being
theoretical on that point.

Likewise, I've not come across explicit cleaning instructions in the
sources I've looked at.  Has anyone come across descriptions or
instructions for cleaning in 18th, 17th, 16th, or earlier sources?  I was
wondering what their methods and materials were, although I could do some
speculation:  Soda ash, lime, lye soap, brushes, scrubbing, water...

The book "A Sip Thru  Time" By Cindy Renfrow mentions cleaning barrels in
one or two of the recipes, but other than that I don't know.

Cat
owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com