hist-brewing: Gill-over-the-ground

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Fri May 7 13:57:18 PDT 1999

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Mills, Scott wrote:

> From this we can assume that it is the same or similar to the European plant
> of the same name. They also refer to it as being an "Irritant Oil" yet buy
> the descriptions of what it does to horses, it seems a little bit more than
> irritating.

Capsaicin is an irritant, ingesting enough can prove fatal. Most
detergents qualify as irritants as well, but ingesting enough would be
fatal.  "Irritant" refers to the specific activity of the substance upon
the mucosa.  It is no indication of the lethality of the substance.

Sodium chloride (table salt) is classified as an irritant--if you get
some in your eyes you would understand how this could come about.
However, it is less toxic than are detergents or capsaicin.