hist-brewing: RE: Gill-over-the-ground

Joel Plutchak plutchak at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri May 7 12:57:18 PDT 1999


<Scott.Mills at COMPAQ.com> shared:
> The Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System says;
> "In Prince Edward Island two horses ingested large quantities of
> ground-ivy in November when the ivy provided an abundance of green
> foliage. The horses panted continually and died within a week. One
> horse would lie down and the other horse would not. In Europe, horses
> have been reported to ingest large amounts of fresh or dried ground-ivy,
> with subsequent poisoning. Apparently, cattle and sheep were not
> poisoned after they ingested the plant (Fyles 1920)."

   It's fairly well documented that certain breeds of dogs react
exactly that way after ingesting hops.  While I certainly wouldn't
counsel eating any substance you aren't sure of, toxicity in some
animals doesn't imply toxicity in humans.
--
Joel Plutchak <plutchak at uiuc.edu>
Software Developer, National Center for Supercomputing Applications



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, send email to majordomo at pbm.com containing
the words "unsubscribe hist-brewing" (or unsubscribe hist-brewing-digest, if
you get the digest.) To contact a human about problems, send mail to
owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com



More information about the hist-brewing mailing list