hist-brewing: Historical "non-sanitization"--any experience?

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Fri May 7 12:21:12 PDT 1999

>Cindy Renfrow wrote:
>
>> Elijah Bemiss (1815) sterilizes his cask with scalding water and then dries
>> it, or, he "sent it with a linen rag dipped in brimstone".
>
>In a message dated 5/6/99 11:15:10 PM EST, OxladeMac at aol.com writes:
>
><< How does one dry such a vessel - you don't!  After you wash and scald the
> inside you fill it with beer!  >>
>

>	There's a disconnect here.    Scotti

Here's the reference:

92nd.  WINE OF GRAPES - 1815
When they are full ripe, in a dry day, pick off those grapes that are
ripest; and squeeze them in a vat or press made for that purpose, in which
must be a fine canvass bag to contain the grapes, and when in the press do
not squeeze them so hard as to break the seeds if you can help it; because
the bruised seeds will give the wine a disagreeable taste:  then strain it
well, and let it settle on the lees in such a cask or vessel as you may
draw it off without raising the bottom; then season a cask well with some
scalding water, and dry it or sent it with a linen rag dipped in
brimstone,2 by fixing it at the bogue, by the bung or cork; then put the
wine into it, and stop it close for forty-eight hours; then give it vent at
the bogue, with a hole made with a gimblet; in which put a peg or fawcet,
that may be easily moved with the fingers; then, in about two days time, it
will be fit for drinking, and prove almost as good as French wine.
(From The Dyer's Companion, by Elijah Bemiss, 1815, p. 301.)

Keep in mind this is the same guy who tells us to filter our cider this way:

83th. GOOD CIDER AS EASILY MADE AS BAD. - 1815
To make cider of early or late fruit, that will keep a length of time,
without the trouble of frequent drawing off - Take the largest cask you
have on your farm, from a barrel upwards; put a few sticks in the bottom,
in the manner that house-wives set a lye cask, so as to raise a vacancy of
two or three inches from the bottom of the cask; then lay over these sticks
either a clean old blanket, or if that be not at hand, a quantity of
swindling flax, so as to make a coat of about a quarter of an inch thick,
then put in so much cleaned washed sand, from a beach or road, as will
cover about six or eight inches in depth of your vessel; pass all your
cider from the press through a table cloth, suspended by the corners, which
will take out the pummice; and pour the liquor gently upon the sand,
through which it must be suffered to filter gradually, and as it runs off
by a tap inserted in your vessel, in the vacancy made by the sticks at the
bottom, it will be found by this easy method, as clear cider can be
expected by the most laborious process of refining; and all the
mucilaginous matter, which causes the fermentation and souring of cider,
will be separated so as to prevent that disagreeable consequence.
(From The Dyer's Companion, by Elijah Bemiss, 1815, p. 299.)

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"