hist-brewing: barrels

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Fri May 7 07:26:17 PDT 1999

I would suggest this is the difference - Ale was probably not shipped,
since it lasted at most 4-5 days from the date of brewing.  Beer,
on the other hand, could last up to a year (e.g. Markham's March
Beer), so it could be shipped about.  Indeed, what else would they
use but wooden casks?  I believe amphorae are out of the question.
	-----wade

>At 09:31 AM 5/7/99 -0400, PBLoomis at aol.com wrote:
<snip>  >>