hist-brewing: barrels

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Fri May 7 06:31:55 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/6/99 7:31:42 PM EST, ulfin at mail.portup.com writes:

<< I haven't encountered any evidence that coopered vessels
 were commonly used to transport beer in pre-industrial
 periods (although I must admit, my "research" has been
 extremely casual).  Sure, I see barrels in the Bayeaux
 Tapestry, and I know that it was beer that quenched the
 thirst of the pox-rotten Normans, but that doesn't mean
 that they ever put beer in those barrels.

	We know that hopped beer was being shipped to England
from the Low Countries in the 14th century, but that most
English still preferred their homegrown unhopped ale.  What
was the beer shipped in, if not coopered casks?
	Scotti