hist-brewing: Gill-over-the-ground

JazzboBob at aol.com JazzboBob at aol.com
Thu May 6 19:56:05 PDT 1999

<<
 Thanks for all the info, everyone.  By the way, does anyone know if "gill"
 is pronounced with a "g" sound (like the breathing parts of fishes) or a
 soft "j" (as if it was a French word)?

>From Wines & Beers of Old New England by Sanborn Brown  I quote from p.65
Gill-over-the-ground, cat's foot, robin-in-the-hedge, alehoof, alecost,
alehove, field balm, and ground ivy are all names for the common weed that
was very often used to give the bitter taste to beer.  The name "gill" is
said to come from the French guille, to ferment, and the word "ale" appears
in three of these names, attesting to the usefulness of this little plant.
Actually many other bitter plants were also used in the steeping of beer,
including sweet mary, tansy,sage, wormwood, and sweet gale, but ground ivy
was the most common after hops, since it, too, has preservative qualities.

My guess would be a soft "j"    JazzboBob