Fwd: Re: hist-brewing: barrels

Beth Ann Snead ladypeyton at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 07:40:24 PDT 1999

 Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 07:36:36 -0700 (PDT)
 From: Beth Ann Snead <ladypeyton at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Re: hist-brewing: barrels
 To: Chad McGarrah <cormac at intrepid.net>

 > Subject: Re: hist-brewing: Historical "non-sanitization"--any
 > experience?
 >

 > >I just got into this and would very much like to do some brew in the
 > wood...could
 > >anybody advise as to a source for a reasonable replica of  beer
 barrel
 > made
 > of
 > >wood?

 Please keep in mind that anything smaller than an 11 gallon barrell and
 you are risking serious oxidation problems.  I would NEVER go below a 5
 gallon barrel and in that case I wouldn't keep the brew or wine in it
 longer than a couple of weeks as the surface to pourous wood ratio is
 dangerously high.

 Beth Ann Snead
 Lettice, Lady Peyton in the SCA