Fwd: Re: hist-brewing: Historical "non-sanitization"--any experience?

Beth Ann Snead ladypeyton at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 07:38:33 PDT 1999

 Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 07:34:02 -0700 (PDT)
 From: Beth Ann Snead <ladypeyton at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Re: hist-brewing: Historical "non-sanitization"--any
 experience?
 To: bjm10 at cornell.edu

 Arnald of Villanova explains how to sanitize a barrel in Boke of wine
 published in the 14th Century.  His method includes burning ncense into
 the barrel.  Since the modern way to sanitize a barrel is to burn sulfur
 strips one has to wonder EXACTLY what Arnald's contemporaries were
 including in their incense.

 Beth Ann Snead
 Lettice Lady Peyton in the SCA