hist-brewing: Historical "non-sanitization"--any experience?

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Thu May 6 07:33:48 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/5/99 6:24:12 PM EST, renfrow at skylands.net writes:

<< Elijah Bemiss (1815) sterilizes his cask with scalding water and then dries
 it, >>
	I hate to think of sterilizing or even sanitizing a 500-gallon
hogshead
with scalding water, and how does one dry the inside of such a behemoth?

<<  or, he "sent it with a linen rag dipped in brimstone".  >>

	What does "sent it" mean?  Scent it?
	Linen rather than cotton because the fibers are longer and less
likely
to come loose?
	"Brimstone??"  Flowers of brimstone (powdered sulfur)?  Liquid
brimstone (melts at temperatures above the boiling point of water; nasty
stuff)?  Hydro-sulphuric acid (H2S, slightly more toxic than cyanide but
dissipates or metabolizes quickly)?  Brimstone water (dilute sulfurous
acid [H2SO3], a bit unpleasant but not really dangerous)?  The latter
seems the most likely to me, and is, IIRC, like Campden tablet solution.
	Scotti