hist-brewing: Historical "non-sanitization"--any experience?

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Wed May 5 13:43:39 PDT 1999

>From a purely theoretical standpoint, I'm wondering.  Has anyone on the
list had experience with the cleaning-but-not-sanitizing by modern
standards that may have been done historically?

I would presume that this would have a greater chance of being safe due
to the much larger volumes involved in brewing, but I'm only being
theoretical on that point.

Likewise, I've not come across explicit cleaning instructions in the
sources I've looked at.  Has anyone come across descriptions or
instructions for cleaning in 18th, 17th, 16th, or earlier sources?  I was
wondering what their methods and materials were, although I could do some
speculation:  Soda ash, lime, lye soap, brushes, scrubbing, water...