hist-brewing: Gill-over-the-ground

Abbott, Ruth r-abbott at oar-xch1.oar.uiuc.edu
Wed May 5 06:59:59 PDT 1999

> Buhner suggests that it takes about 4 quarts of fresh plant
> to make an ounce
> of dried leaves for use in beer.

Egad! That means I need to collect 3 gallons of gill to make 3 oz for a
batch of beer.  I might have to look in other people's yards, too.

> If this plant grows near you, may find it worthwhile to rediscover it.

Exactly what I was thinking.

> His recipe calls for  5# malted barley, 4 gallons water, 2#
> brown sugar, 3
> ounces ground ivy, yeast.
> Happy brewing,
> JazzboBob at aol

Thanks for all the info, everyone.  By the way, does anyone know if "gill"
is pronounced with a "g" sound (like the breathing parts of fishes) or a
soft "j" (as if it was a French word)?

Alix