hist-brewing: Gill-over-the-ground

Karen Olson kaolson3 at hotmail.com
Mon May 3 18:08:08 PDT 1999

Alix

couple of things to consider.

1. Are you positive that the plant is non-toxic?  If not don't even try it.

2. If its non-toxic make sure that you use only that plant when you do this.
     1. when you wash it pick thru and a pick out anything that isn't the
ivy.  I don't know about your region but in the midwest nightshade is common
in gardens and other areas.  When in doubt get rid of it.

      2. Figure out how sweet you want your wine or mead, there will be just
about now sugar in the plant.  next heat your water and sugar or honey up
just enough to sisolve the sugar or honey.

      3.  If you have put the ivy in straining bag. I use a fine mesh bag
from the brewing store.  If you don't just place it in the primary
fermenter.  Don't do this with a carboy, its a bitch to clean.

		4.  Pour your must over the ivy, add any nutrients and other additives you
need.  and proceed as you would for any wine.

this method works for about any herb or flower wine or mead you care to try.
  But be careful, that you only use plants you know!!  Also becareful of the
alchol content or you risk getting a very harsh wine that may never develope
a good flavor.

Good luck

Cat