hist-brewing: Mead

JJJBEER at aol.com JJJBEER at aol.com
Sun May 2 15:11:37 PDT 1999

I have been brewing beer for about five years and recently decided to try
mead.  Right now I have about 30 gallons of different melomels (mead with
fruit) aging/fermenting.
My first batch I made five gallons of the same recipe and split it into 5
different 1 gallon jugs.  To each of the jugs I added a different type of
yeast.  This way I can see the difference between them.
 Last week a blueberry mead I made two months ago made it to the finals in a
local competition here on Long Island.  Although it only scored 28 out of 50
points, I think that is pretty good for only being 2 months old.  Everybody
loved it.
My favorite yeast so far is Red Star Flor Sherry.  It leaves a very nice
residual sweetness.  Champagne yeast ferments VERY clean and leaves the mead
crystal clear.  The only drawback is that it completly ferment out all the
sugar, thus leaving a very dry mead.  If you want a dry mead then great, but
I like them semi-sweet rather than dry.
I hope this helps.  Let me know if I can help you with anything. - J