hist-brewing: Hoegaardenish beer -Reply -Reply

NATHAN T MOORE NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
Fri Apr 30 16:26:00 PDT 1999

>>So the risk of a stuck sparge
comes from unconverted and therefor insoluble starches in the wheat
and the oats.  My question would then be:  Is that extra grain being
wasted?

As George stated, actualy the Pils can convert this grain bill.  I did give it
a bit of a longer mash, about 1.25 hours at 152.  I can pick up no off
flavors in the finished beer that would hint at un-converted starch.  The
stuck sparge is from a type of protein.  However, the protein also is what
gives the beer its distinct color and cloudiness so you do not want to
overdo the protein rest.  I did my protein rest untill the mash felt a bit less
sticky as you stir it, about 15min, I know this is not the best advise but
you will see what I mean.  At first it is a big workout to stir the mash, but
after a bit it starts to lossen up.  I used my best intution to guess when I
thought it was "spargeable".

>>Would one be better off using less flaked wheat by substituting malted
wheat for some of it?

You can do this, but from what I have read the flavor and appearence is
not quite right without the high dose of unmalted wheat.

 << You also need to add about 0.75 oz of coriander and 0.75
 oz bitter curaco(sp?) orange peel. >>
I think the spelling you're looking for is curacao, the island off
the northeast coast of South America that is the source for an orange
peel liqueur.

Yep, you can get the stuff from most homebrew store, it is a bit ugly
though.

 << Add the orange peel for the last
 15-20min and the coriander for 5min.  As far as hops, shoot for 15-20
 IBU's, Goldings work well.  If you want, add up to 1/2 oz flavoring hops, I
 know Celis uses Cascade and so did I.  The final trick is to get a bit of a
 sour tang.  Some people add acid at bottling, I used 3/4 pound of
 Weyermans(sp?) Sour Malt because it bugs me to use additives.  Hard
 find but you can order it from www.stpats.com. >>
	Is the Sour Malt included in the barley malt portion, I assume?

YES

 << To keep this in subject, what is the history of this style of beer?  My
 understanding is it dates back to before the use of hops and that is why
 the orange peel was used to balance the sweetness.  >>
	In the Netherlands, that would have to have been before about
AD1300.

Thanks

Nate