hist-brewing: Hoegaardenish beer -Reply

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Fri Apr 30 04:19:46 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/28/99 9:01:36 AM EST, NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
writes:

<< The trick is to use a mash of about 55% pilsner
 malt (I recommend DC) 40% UNMALTED wheat (use the flaked) and 5%
 flaked oats.  <snip>  When mashing the grain you will have to do a 15
 to 30 min protein rest to avoid a stuck sparge from all the unmalted grain.
 Good luck and contact me with any questions. >>
	I understand that malted barley contains enough extra amylases to
convert up to 50% of its own weight of unmalted grains.  That is, up to
one-third of the total grist can be unmalted.  So the risk of a stuck sparge
comes from unconverted and therefor insoluble starches in the wheat
and the oats.  My question would then be:  Is that extra grain being wasted?
Would one be better off using less flaked wheat by substituting malted
wheat for some of it?
	I would probably substitute malted oats for the flaked oats, since I
already
have it on hand for my attempts to brew pre-AD1400 ales, but one would still
have an excess of unmalted wheat.

 << You also need to add about 0.75 oz of coriander and 0.75
 oz bitter curaco(sp?) orange peel. >>
	I think the spelling you're looking for is curacao, the island off
the northeast coast of South America that is the source for an orange peel
liqueur.

 << Add the orange peel for the last
 15-20min and the coriander for 5min.  As far as hops, shoot for 15-20
 IBU's, Goldings work well.  If you want, add up to 1/2 oz flavoring hops, I
 know Celis uses Cascade and so did I.  The final trick is to get a bit of a
 sour tang.  Some people add acid at bottling, I used 3/4 pound of
 Weyermans(sp?) Sour Malt because it bugs me to use additives.  Hard to
 find but you can order it from www.stpats.com. >>
	Is the Sour Malt included in the barley malt portion, I assume?

 << To keep this in subject, what is the history of this style of beer?  My
 understanding is it dates back to before the use of hops and that is why
 the orange peel was used to balance the sweetness.  >>
	In the Netherlands, that would have to have been before about AD1300.

	Slainte,     Scotti