hist-brewing: Fruit in beer/ale

Badger badger at nwlink.com
Wed Apr 28 13:42:39 PDT 1999

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, NATHAN T MOORE wrote:

> Historic Brewers,
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew of a reference to the historical use of
> fruit in beer or ale.  I have not found any references to this occurring pre
> 17th century, although I don't have the research base that some on this

the first one that comes mind is something from Cindy renfrows book, a sip
thru time, citing Sir Hugh Platt "a delight for ladies", 1609.  where he
tells of several different ways to spice up regular ale..

"...Ale, the same being well brewed out of one pot, into another:.."

"some commend the hanging of roasted orenges prickt full of Cloues in the
vessell o fAle till you finde the teaste therof suffieciently graced to
your own liking."

Essentially it sounds like he's hanging cloven fruit in the secondary to
me.

hope that helps..

back to work