hist-brewing: to sparge or not to sparge?

Baden,Doug baden at oclc.org
Tue Apr 13 08:50:32 PDT 1999

Dan:

They did not rinse the grains because they thought they were mashing again,
from the written sources.  The method was for multiple worts, resulting in
small beers, which could be mixed.  Tofi's research into it shows that you
get less out of a mash.  Tradeoffs.

What is now obvious was not for many years.

The obvious is not always obvious; dehydration is a case in point where the
treatment was to add some potassium, salts, and minerals to the water when
rehydrating the patient.  Obvious now, but the "professionals" did not do
this until less than 5 years ago!  Hindsight is 20/20.

This is also a trap in research, assuming that common knowledge now was
common then.  And the earth is flat....

Doug

Doug Baden    My opinions are my own.
When I see "And it is obvious that" I know that
I have many hours of work to see the obvious...