hist-brewing: to sparge or not to sparge?

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 13 07:08:39 PDT 1999

> While I agree that the lack of evidence that pre-modern brewers
> sparged is *probably* because they didn't do it, I won't be
> entirely satisfied with that conclusion until I find a good

There is a great deal of counter evidence that they used different
techniques, though, like running multiple worts off a single grist.
Thus, they did, at least in some cases, deal with the sugars in the grains
left from the first running, just not the same way.

Multiple runnings can work very nicely, speaking from experience.