hist-brewing: period sparging

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 12 10:21:39 PDT 1999

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 PBLoomis at aol.com wrote:

> 	I have considered the method of three runnings, as explicated by
> Harrison (1577) and Markham (1615) to be the forerunner of a modern
> sparge, although as Paul Placeway pointed out earlier, the later runnings

Moving it up to the 18th century, "London and Country Brewer" (1759
edition) details several brews wherein one does four (yes, FOUR) separate
runnings, and then combines them to produce strong and weak beers.
(Often 1+2 and 3+4, although I *think*--going from memory--that at least
one was 1+3 and 2+4).  What was interesting was that at least some of the
recipes likewise specified that one should alternate hot and cold
(spring/brook temperature) water in the runnings.