hist-brewing: period sparging

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Fri Apr 9 05:58:12 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/8/99 1:56:42 PM EST, John_Purdy at Jabil.com writes:

<< If it was common practice to re-use the grains to make a small
 beer, and again a smaller one after that, it is highly arguable that anyone
 would want to rinse off the good stuff before doing so much less put it into
 practice.  Not to mention that by the time the third was made there wouldn't
 really be enough left for sparging to make much difference anyway.  After
 all "necessity is the mother of invention" and I don't see the necessity in
 this situation. >>

	I have considered the method of three runnings, as explicated by
Harrison (1577) and Markham (1615) to be the forerunner of a modern
sparge, although as Paul Placeway pointed out earlier, the later runnings
extract more tannins from the husks than a good sparge would.
	Scotti