SV: hist-brewing: period sparging

Badger badger at nwlink.com
Thu Apr 8 10:17:17 PDT 1999

> Correct me if i'm wrong here but isn't sparging the step where you rinse
> off your malt after mashing?
> IMHO it's a simple enough step to omit from books, sure, the water
> volume and grain size matters but to me it feels like a recipe for
> peanut butter
> & jelly sandwiches that has "open the jar" included.  Just take a sleeve
> and tie a knot in one end, pour in the malt and pour some water over it.

Now in my reserach i have never found a reference to sparging.  My reasons
for believing that no sparging was is mostly theoretical (just like
everyone else, neh?)..

- the grain was very often used afterwards for food for humans, or for
animals.  the left over sugars were used that way.

- in Corran (history of brewing)? i think? there is a non dated article
about french brewing (purported medieval) in which they do a semi sparge,
by pour the collected wort thru again.  first specific reference i have
found to anything even close to sparge like.

- before the 112-13th century i am not sure they even boiled the wort.
Tofi wrote an excellent article based on references in Bennets book that
he theorized that they didn't boil the collected wort, but rather pitched
yeast right away.  (from memory here, don't crucify me if i am wrong.. :)

I sort of see a progression of technology here..

hmm.. if we let grain grow, and then bake it, we get better beer/ale..
hmm.. if we soak it in a certain tempeture of water it get stronger..
hmm.. if we add hops it lasts longer...
etc.etc.

also different regions did it differently, so the germans and flemish had
hops long before the english who thought hops were the devils weed..

wow, i got really off topic here.. More coffee..

badger
(hopefully you won't see this 100 times.. )