SV: hist-brewing: period sparging

Brokk H940114 at stud.kol.su.se
Thu Apr 8 07:58:10 PDT 1999

I'm not assuming they did it just because i haven't found evidence of
the opposite....
Correct me if i'm wrong here but isn't sparging the step where you rinse
off your malt after mashing?
IMHO it's a simple enough step to omit from books, sure, the water
volume and grain size matters but to me it feels like a recipe for
peanut butter
& jelly sandwiches that has "open the jar" included.  Just take a sleeve
and tie a knot in one end, pour in the malt and pour some water over it.
Maybe it comes from being an analytical chemist (i'm used to rinse
things over and over) *shrug*
Anyhow I mostly make meads so I haven't given the whole thing much
thought.

Angus.