hist-brewing: period sparging

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 8 07:07:08 PDT 1999

> > Is it proved somewhere that sparging wasn't used in period brewing ?
> > I haven't seen a source that says it was but neither one that says it
> > wasn't.

To claim that something was done merely because there is no evidence that
it was not done would hardly wash in any serious study of history.

Presume nothing without positive evidence.  For re-creators, this means
that sometimes we simply are forced to substitute what we currently do to
fill in a blank hole, but it is not ethical historical research to claim
that what we currently do was or could have been done historically without
positive evidence to that effect.