hist-brewing: Re: hist-brewing and the SCA

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Thu Apr 8 04:26:23 PDT 1999

	I wish to apologize to all the members of this forum for taking up
space and their time with stuff that was SCA-brewing-documentation
related, rather than actually history of brewing related.

As the owner of this listserv very courteously pointed out to me:

<< This is the historical brewing list, not the sca brewing list.  I want to
 make sure that the historical brewing community doesn't up and leave
 due to too much chatter about SCA-only topics.  >>

	He's right, of course.  Those of you outside the SCA, or even outside
the Kingdom of Meridies, shouldn't have to listen to my drivel about purely
local matters.  Henceforth, I will confine myself to the matter at hand.

	Besides, Wade Hutchinson summed up the SCA documentation question
neatly when he said:

 << Documentation for a contest is to educate the judges and show them that
you
A - know what you're talking about, and B - used some sort of historical
sources for your project.  <snip>
Just never assume that a judge knows something about the object being judged
in SCA brewing/vintning competitions - explain everything you did, why you
did it, and how it relates or differs from practices that can be documented
to be period.  Follow that formula and you can't go wrong. >>

	I shall mull that over, and try to practice it, for a year or so.
 Scotti