hist-brewing: Historic Liqueur -Reply

Beth Ann Snead ladypeyton at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 7 14:58:51 PDT 1999

--- Chuck Graves <Chuck.Graves at faa.gov> wrote:
>      Greetings,
>
>      My mailer botched up the message on Stepponi a bit:
>      I don't have _A Sip Through Time_ at hand, but I do have the Digby
>      reprint.  Stepponi is little more than raisin tea.  It is quite
> good
>      but NOT fermented.

I'm curious as to why you feel that stepponi isn't fermented.  After the
24 hour period Digby definitely says to bottle it and cellar it NOT drink
it.  In this cellaring time it will absolutely ferment to a very lightly
alcoholic slightly carbonated beverage not unlike modern Shandy.
Especially after being exposed to all those airborne yeasts during its 24
hour steeping period.

Beth Ann Snead
Lettice, Lady Peyton in the SCA