hist-brewing: Re: Historic Liqueur (SCA) -Reply

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Wed Apr 7 08:48:49 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/5/99 1:30:11 PM EST, whutchis at bucknell.edu writes:

<< If you
 had corks pop, Scotti, then you must have bottled before fermentation was
 complete.  >>
	I agree, the evidence is that fermentation was NOT complete.
However,
that mead had been in the secondary carboy for a full year and was showing
no signs of continued activity.  To an ale brewer such as myself, it appeared
finished.  I mention this primarily as a warning to other newbie mead makers.

 << Just never assume that a judge knows something about the object being
 judged in SCA brewing/vintning competitions - explain everything you did,
 why you did it, and how it relates or differs from practices that can be
 documented to be period.  Follow that formula and you can't go wrong. >>
	Sage advice.  I will take it as a talisman.
	Here in Meridies, the Knaves of Grain are trying to educate a group
of
judges, but here in the western reaches of the Principality of Gleann
Abhann, they are few and far between, so most judges are pick-ups.
My Baron, who is a good winemaker but doesn't even like beer, was
one of the brewing and vintning judges at the last A&S Faire we held
as a Region.
	THL Scotti