hist-brewing: Historic Liqueur -Reply

Chuck Graves Chuck.Graves at faa.gov
Wed Apr 7 06:11:36 PDT 1999

     Greetings,

     My mailer botched up the message on Stepponi a bit:

>> I have a reference for a lightly carbonated lemon-raisin type beverage
>> that is druk from a well stop't vessel a few days (2 weeks) after
>> fermentation has begun.  It's included inCindy Renfrow's book and is
>> called Stepponi (in Digby it is supposed to be cellared in a cool pl e
>> abfter 2 weeks to slow fermentation I suppose this might extend the
>> time between first storage d fireworks; Martha Washington's Book says
>> drink after 2 weeks)

     I don't have _A Sip Through Time_ at hand, but I do have the Digby
     reprint.  Stepponi is little more than raisin tea.  It is quite good
     but NOT fermented.  As a matter of fact, take a good look at a recipe
     for homemade lemonade. Except for the time frame (1 hr. for lemonade;
     1 day for Stepponi) and the raisins, they are strikingly familiar.  I
     would set it in a cool place because it tastes quite good chilled.

     Also, the recipe is for a one-gallon batch. I'm not sure why you would
     want to cellar the stuff.  Digby certainly doesn't recommend it in the
     original text.

     By the way, I make it periodically--especially for events where
     alcohol is not allowed.

     Regards,
     Tadhg