hist-brewing: historical beer styles

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Mon Apr 5 11:52:17 PDT 1999

Ok, after my last, probably off topic, post, I thought I'd pose
a general question to the list.  This is SCA related, but not
exclusively so.

I brew mostly beers, althought I'm braching out into meads and
have been doing some research on braggot lately.  What I'd like
to know is whether anyone has ever compliled a list of "historic"
beer styles, and their supposed dates and places of origin?

What got me thinking about this was some statements made in several
of the "Beer Style Series" of books.  In the Porter book, for
instance, the author claims that porter was the first distinctive
"beer style," and lists several dates in the 18th and 19th centuries
when the style was introduced in breweries around London.  Another
mention was made in the Bock book about the origin of bock and doublebock
beers in Germany.  Thats the one that really got me wondering because
the dates given (which I don't recall offhand) was before the isolation
of a distinct lager yeast.  Even though we don't really know what these
beers were like, I think it would be interesting to try to track down
when the descriptors that we use today were first being used.

For example, on several Belgian abbey ales, they list dates in the
11th, 12th or 13th centuries for the origin of the beers - does anyone
know of an abbey that has been continuously brewing from even the 16th
century? 17th?  Well - any information from list members will be helpful,
and if/when I get some info. compliled I'll be sure to share it back
with the list.  Thanks for listening,
	-----wade hutchison