hist-brewing: History of "Lager"

BrewInfo brewinfo at xnet.com
Mon Apr 5 11:15:01 PDT 1999

You probably have heard the Grolsch ads in which they imply that Grolsch
has been making Lager since 16-something.  Lager as we know it today
is either directly related (by being a direct descendent) or indirectly
related (by being a brown ale recipe onto which the "new" bottom-fermenting
yeast, cold fermentation and cold-conditioning have been imposed) to
Bohemian Pilseners and the beers brewed by Sedlmeyer and Dreher.

However, I believe that Alpine brewers have been storing beer in ice
caves and former salt mines for centuries.  I suppose this could be
called "Lager."  However, Holland certainly has no ice caves and by
virtue of being mostly below sea level, unlikely to have underground
cold storage of any kind...

Could they have been storing ice during the winter and using that in
above-ground storage buildings for lagering?

Is there any possibility that Grolsch was making anything remotely
resembling a Lager in the 17th century?

Actually, I have my opinion, but I'm looking for references...

Thanks.

Al.