hist-brewing: Historic Liqueur -Reply

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Sun Apr 4 07:54:16 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/3/99 9:53:13 AM EST, pbureau at home.com writes:

<< I am looking to enter my first Honey Sparkling Mead into the next A&S
 contest, I need information on what is required to document my brew
 before next weekend (9th) please help

	Wish I could help you but I can't.  Since Mistress Rosemounde's
October
edict, I've been frantically scrambling around trying to brew and document
authentic Period ales (unhopped) and beers (hopped).  Haven't even looked at
meads, especially since my apiarist has lost all his hives to the bee mite.

	You could try looking up Sir Kenelme Digby on the Web at
<realbeer.com/spencer/Digby-recipes/>.  There are a bunch of mead recipes
there, and even though Digby is post-Period (1669), he is generally
acceptable anyhow.

	Why do you call it a _Honey_ Sparkling Mead?  The word mead implies
that it was made from honey, and all meads are assumed to be honey meads,
unless stated otherwise, like Thorgrim's justly famous Blueberry Mead, which
has blueberries added to a basic honey mead.  It's the default case, just as
you don't need to say that an heraldic lion is rampant, since that is the
default posture if another has not been specified.

	As for _Sparkling_, great meads (those with a ratio of two pounds of
honey to
one gallon of water) are naturally carbonated, as I learned to my sorrow when
my first batch shot their corks and contents across the room.  Little meads,
or small meads (honey/water ratio = one pound per gallon) are generally
carbonated too, because they are bottled at less than one month, while still
fermenting.  Don't know where to document those statements, but a
knowledgeable mead judge should already know that and accept your statement
of it as evidence that you know somewhat of the subject.

	Sorry I can't be more help.  Maybe someone else can help.

	Ann gairdeachas agus obair,        THL Scotti