hist-brewing: Historic Liqueur

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Apr 1 15:21:10 PST 1999

NATHAN T MOORE (NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US) said something that sounded like:
> Is it possible to justify a carbonated liqueur as being historically
> accurate?  If so, how would they have gone about it?  I am thinking of
> pre 1700's history.

The way I've seen it discussed is one of the following:

1) Still actively fermenting, thus bubbly.
2) Casks can withstand some pressure and carbonate.

Bottles and corks weren't used before the 1600's. Unfortunately I forget
the exact that of the Dom Perignon cork/bottle discovery, but I think
it's in the late 1600's. I'll see if I can find the reference again.

Ciao,