hist-brewing: glass bottom mugs

Leo Demski stridep at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 21:20:01 PST 1999

Hey y'all!  Thanks for keeping the interesting discussions and
techniques coming....as a brewer and historical archaeology student, I
find the history behind the brewing and fermenting experience very
fascinating...

My question of the moment is:  Does anyone know the story behind the
origin of glass bottom beer tankards (usually pewter otherwise)...I read
somewhere that it had something to do with navy conscription
practices...Any enlightened souls out there?

Thanks and skoal!
-Leo Demski