hist-brewing: Red verses White

ulfin at mail.portup.com ulfin at mail.portup.com
Wed Mar 17 18:46:07 PST 1999

>Don't "white" raisins (golden?) stay "white" due to the addition of
>sulphur?  Have you ever tried to make your own raisins out of green
>grapes?  In my experience they tend to turn as brown as any other
>raisin...

Golden raisins and brown raisins are both dried Thompson
seedless grapes.  Both are usually sulphured.  The difference
is provided by ordinary chlorine bleach. (I worked the
produce department at a natural foods store and had to
confirm it with the producer when I found out.)

Dan Butler-Ehle

BTW, Andrew, I see you have nicknamed this list "SCA Brewer's Info";
please realize that this is not a SCA list.