hist-brewing: Red verses White

Chris J. Caronna, R. Ph. ccaronna at swbell.net
Wed Mar 17 12:51:23 PST 1999

Greetings everyone,

I hope someone out there knows the answer to this.  It is a well known
fact that red wine results from allowing the wine to ferment with the
peels for a few days or until the color is dark enough.  White wine on
the other hand ferments without the peels and therefore is yellow to
clear.

What happens to green grapes if allowed to ferment with the peels?  My
theory is that it still turns red.  I base this on the fact that the
fall leaves change color when the green chlorophyll dries up or is no
longer produced as the leaves die.  At this point, the real color (those
reds, yellows, etc...) which were there all along are no longer masked
by the green chlorophyl.

Is this correct?  Or do green grapes make white wine whether the peels
are used or not.

I am doing a talk and know if I wonder about this someone else will and
probably ask.

Thanks in advance,
Morgan the Vintner
ccaronna at swbell.net