hist-brewing: Breughel & Flemish Ale

Donald Beistle dbeistle at arches.uga.edu
Tue Mar 16 13:22:13 PST 1999

_Zymurgy_ featured an article on the attempt by someone associated with
Pike Place Brewing to recreate a 16th century Netherlandish ale through a
combination of intuition (well, only slightly more scientific than that)
and the representations of beer/ale in contemporary Flemish art. This
must have been published about five years ago. I could give the exact
bibliographic details if I were writing from home.

Though not terribly scientific, the article contains a fair amount of
useful information (including references), is an enjoyable read (unlike
CP's ramblings in that and every issue), and the recipe supplied by the
author looks like it would produce quite a tasty brew. Would this brew
(fermented with Wyeast 1214) taste at all like the those quaffed by
Breughel's peasants? I doubt it, but who knows?

Waes hael!

Don Beistle
Athens, Georgia