hist-brewing: Flemmish ale

ulfin at mail.portup.com ulfin at mail.portup.com
Mon Mar 15 07:06:51 PST 1999

Dean Bailey asks:

>Does anyone have any documentation for a Flemmish ale?

*Any* Flemmish ale?  Or did you have a particular one
in mind?  Liefemann's makes Oud Bruin; that's a Flemish
brown ale, and they've been making it a long time--
so I guess you could consider it historical.

Was there a particular period you were looking for?
Nineteenth century perhaps?

Pieter(sp?) Bruegel (famous [17th c.?] Flemish painter)
had a work (dang, can't recall the title) depicting
people at a party with servants pouring beer from big
jars.

Man, I'm apparently pretty lousy at documentation.

Dan