hist-brewing: Oak leaf in Viking Mead Recipe?

Eric A. Rhude ateno at panix.com
Fri Mar 12 09:12:22 PST 1999

Oak Leaves were used in brewing in the 1600's and is
well documented.
Gervase Markhan for one.

The receipt itself is suspicious, it seems that
someone just 'threw' some ingredients together
to make it look like a 1600 receipt.

I can see the pre-victorian Viking going to the
brewing store for: 4 tsp acid blend, 5 tsp yeast nutrient
and 1/2 tsp Irish Moss.

Ok enough humor.  I suspect if you
want to presue this receipe, and good handful is
sufficient.

I have heard that in quanity oak leaves are poison, but
the difference between a few for brewing in a 5 gallon
batch is different than a 6 y/o making a oak leaf sandwich.

Anybody else?

Eric Rhude

--
QVI CONVERTERIET HAEC IMMODICE LITTERATVS EST