hist-brewing: Re: your mail

bjm10 at cornell.edu bjm10 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 8 07:54:59 PST 1999

First, apologies for double-posting, but the address above doesn't look
familiar enough.

> > Excuse my ignorance, by what is "pease?"  I've heard it in the childhood rhyme

While it is true that the word "pease" is now used for the legume we call
"peas", that does not necessarily mean that "pease" in the 17th century
referred specifically to "petit point"--green or sweet peas.  I'll have
to dig, but if I recall aright, "pease" could likewise refer to white
beans or other fairly round beans, as opposed to the "common bean", which
is fairly flat.