hist-brewing: Egg whites in mead

Shane Foster sorcerer at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Tue Mar 2 18:05:39 PST 1999

Some undoubtly were murky, however our ancestors were not stupid.  If
something as simple as egg whites would have cleared a mead it seems
logical that someone would have tried it.

Shane

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Wade Hutchison wrote:

> Ah - my question would be why do you think that meads were clear
> in period?  Is clarity important in pre-16th century beverages?
> Is a contest that judges medieval beverages on clarity fair?
>
> Recently some folks posted about some brewing contests that
> were including "experimental" or "historical" categories.
> Do we know what the judging criteria for those categories
> was/will be?  From the standpoint of the SCA, I would think
> we should judge the _process_ just as much as the results
> (which will be very subjective since there is no "standard"
> against which we could judge).  It seems to me that comparing
> period (pre-17th century) brews to modern styles is a losing
> proposition for the historic brewer.
> 	-----wade/Gille
>
> At 08:41 AM 3/2/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >What sort of ratio are we talking about here? How many tablespoons (eggs?)
> >per gallon?  Does it affect the taste any?  How long does the clearing
> >take before bottling?  (Gee can you tell I'm excited about this little
> >discovery? I've been wondering how I can clear up my meads without using
> >chemicals so I can enter them in period brewing contests).
> >
> >Shane Foster
> >
> >> The addition of egg whites was used as a clearing agent.
> >> I have experimented with it and it works.
> >> It is used like the modern chemicals and such of modern days.
>
> 	Wade Hutchison
> 	whutchis at bucknell.edu
> 	THL Gille MacDhnouill
> 	Mountain Confederation/Abhainn Ciach Ghlais
> 	AEthelmearc

> owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com

AEthelstan King,  lord of eorls,
Ring-bestower,  and also his brother,
Edmund AEtheling,  won with the sword-edge
Lifelong glory  in battle at Brunanburh.
                          - Excerpt from 'The Battle of Brunanburh'.