hist-brewing: Glasses and clear drink

Baden,Doug baden at oclc.org
Tue Mar 2 12:00:22 PST 1999

Glass was very prevalent in the Middle ages.  We have tons of artifacts of
glass, great and small from the whole time.  The common man may not have
used it daily as much because of the cost, but the upper classes used
glasses very much.

As for them being clear, they were very clear, unless color was added.  The
third largest piece of glass found was from about the 4th century AD, where
the glass was made from scratch, cooled, broken up, then used in smaller
shops (much like today!).  This huge slab was abandoned because it was not
clear.  See: http://www.pennynet.org/glmuseum/Education/slab.htm

According to the Corning Museum
(http://www.pennynet.org/glmuseum/corningm.htm) Blown glass was discovered
about 50 BC.  They also talk about the relative cost of blown glass and
state that it was something that the masses could afford.  Whether they did
is another story.

The French had much to say about what they drank.  They liked a clear drink
that had nothing floating in it.  There were saying about sieving the
English drink through the teeth....

Arundel

Doug Baden    My opinions are my own.
When I see "And it is obvious that" I know that
I have many hours of work to see the obvious...