SV: hist-brewing: Egg whites in mead

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Tue Mar 2 11:16:49 PST 1999

Although there were glass glasses since the Viking era, they weren't
really clear until the 16th century were we start to see references
to bottles (Hugh Platt, IIRC?).  The vast majority of drinking
vessels throughout the pre-16th century period were earthenware
(and quite opaque).  A point to consider when writing docs for
an SCA brewing competition.

At 05:52 PM 3/2/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Personally I feel that clarity isn't an issue as long as the taste is OK

Even here I would argue that it's very difficult to judge when the
taste is OK.  I suppose we could overlook some things that would
be flaws in a modern contest (sweetness/sourness, 'yeasty' flavors) but
still penalize for flaws that are related to the process (oxydized/stale,
phenolic,'band-aid').  I'd love to see a consistant description that could
be used for judging.
	-----Gille MacDhnouill