hist-brewing: Egg whites in mead

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Tue Mar 2 08:13:50 PST 1999

Ah - my question would be why do you think that meads were clear
in period?  Is clarity important in pre-16th century beverages?
Is a contest that judges medieval beverages on clarity fair?

Recently some folks posted about some brewing contests that
were including "experimental" or "historical" categories.
Do we know what the judging criteria for those categories
was/will be?  From the standpoint of the SCA, I would think
we should judge the _process_ just as much as the results
(which will be very subjective since there is no "standard"
against which we could judge).  It seems to me that comparing
period (pre-17th century) brews to modern styles is a losing
proposition for the historic brewer.
	-----wade/Gille

At 08:41 AM 3/2/99 -0700, you wrote:

>What sort of ratio are we talking about here? How many tablespoons (eggs?)
>per gallon?  Does it affect the taste any?  How long does the clearing
>take before bottling?  (Gee can you tell I'm excited about this little
>discovery? I've been wondering how I can clear up my meads without using
>chemicals so I can enter them in period brewing contests).
>
>Shane Foster
>
>> The addition of egg whites was used as a clearing agent.
>> I have experimented with it and it works.
>> It is used like the modern chemicals and such of modern days.

	Wade Hutchison
	whutchis at bucknell.edu
	THL Gille MacDhnouill
	Mountain Confederation/Abhainn Ciach Ghlais
	AEthelmearc